A new version of the FREEWAT plugin (v.1.1.2) is available since April 5th 2019.
This release includes the following major enhancements:
- an existing MODFLOW model can now be imported from a .nam file, and converted into a FREEWAT model (thanks to Iacopo Borsi - TEA SISTEMI S.p.A.);
- SWI2 (Seawater Intrusion) Package for simulating 3D vertically integrated variable-density groundwater flow and seawater intrusion in coastal aquifers has been integrated in the FREEWAT platform (thanks to Iacopo Borsi - TEA SISTEMI S.p.A.);
- Particle Tracking post-processing can now work also with rotated and/or non-uniform grids (thanks to Tiago Martins – Laboratório Nacional de Engenharia Civil);
- ZONE BUDGET calculations of each flow term can now be performed (thanks to Giovanna De Filippis - Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna and Manuel Oliveira – Laboratório Nacional de Engenharia Civil);
- a module was implemented to automatically create input files for head observations (i.e., a point shp file with head measurements points and one csv file for each head measurement point), starting from a csv containing all head measurements (thanks to Giovanna De Filippis - Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna).
Minor bugs have been fixed by Giovanna De Filippis (Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna) within the framework of the SMAQua (SMart ICT tools per l'utilizzo efficiente dell'AcQua) project, co-financed by Regione Toscana, ASA S.p.A. and ERM Italia S.p.A. (2018-2020).
Manuel Oliveira and Agnieszka Plonczak are kindly acknowledged for bugs notification.
A list of the bugs fixed is available in the plugin folder.
The following User Manuals have been updated accordingly:
- FREEWAT User Manual – Volume 0 (Reference Manual)
- FREEWAT User Manual – Volume 1 (Groundwater modeling using MODFLOW-OWHM (One Water Hydrologic Flow Model))
- FREEWAT User Manual – Volume 6 (MODFLOW OBServation process)
The following tutorials have also been updated:
- Tutorial 0
- Tutorial 1
- Tutorial 2
- Saltwater intrusion
- Farm Process
A new tutorial is also available thanks to Marco Vanacore (GEOTECNO Studio Associato) and Giovanna De Filippis (Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna). It deals with the application of MODPATH for particle tracking, in order to test the effectiveness of setting in place a system of barrier wells to prevent pollution in an industrial area.
As usual, FREEWAT v.1.1.2 can be downloaded, along with the installation guide and a complete set of up-to-date User Manuals and Tutorials (some of them are also available in Italian), through accessing the Software -> Download area page of the FREEWAT website.
To access the Download area page of the FREEWAT website, login is needed.
Already registered Users don’t need to register again, they can use the same username and password received by e-mail after the first registration (NOTE: the username required is NOT the email contact).
The most updated version of the FREEWAT plugin can also be downloaded from the official QGIS plugins' repository.
Please, notice that the present version of the FREEWAT plugin is not yet compatible with QGIS 3.
As such, FREEWAT Users have to download the QGIS version 2.18 Las Palmas. QGIS sub-version 2.18.21 is recommended.
We wish to inform that we are working on porting FREEWAT to QGIS 3. We will advertise about this in the following months.
You can keep posted about FREEWAT activities, having a look at the News & Events page of the FREEWAT website and joining our LinkedIn group (EU H2020 FREEWAT), Twitter account (@H2020Freewat) and Facebook page (FREEWAT).
If you are interested in joining the development team or wishing to contribute to software development, please contact us (email@example.com